I recently learned how to make this dish and it got my bf’s approval, and he is from Punjab, India. I wanted to share it with all the other girls trying to impress their Punjabi bf’s! or anyone just looking to eat some good food. I find a lot of Indian dish recipes include using a pressure cooker, which I don’t have. However using a pressure cooker instead of just a plain old pot for boiling the Lentils and Beans is fine as well.
Also if you don’t have a garlic crusher, you can always just cut up the garlic and ginger yourself. I think crushing releases more of the flavour however and is the preferred method if possible. Flavour is what its all about! Typically for this dish I add about 4 teaspoons of salt, because its a salty dish. In the video and in the ingredients I only list 3, but you should always be doing a taste test to check if maybe it needs more halfway through cooking. Adjust to your taste! you can always add more salt but you can’t if you overdo it. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
3/4 cup Urad Whole Black Lentils
1/4 cup Red Kidney Beans
1 med-lg onion
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tbsp of crushed ginger
4 tbsp’s of tomato paste
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch of Asafoetida Powder (Hing, 1/8 or 1/4 tsp)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 or 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
3 tbsp of butter
3 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 - 2 tbsp’s of cream as garnish or cilantro or both (optional)
Soak the red kidney beans and black lentils together overnight in water or for at least 6-8 hours.
1. Rinse the red kidney beans and whole black lentils a couple of times and then fill a pot full of water and beans and lentils (about 3 or 4 cups). Bring to a boil and then keep boiling over medium high heat (7 or 8) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. You want them a little over cooked so they mash well.
2. Heat your pan with 3 tbsp’s of butter over medium heat (5). When heat is coming off the pan add crushed ginger and garlic, cumin, & hing. Stir constantly for 2-3 mins.
3. Add chopped onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until it is cooked and browned.
4. Mix tomato paste with a cup of water and mix using a fork to make a tomato puree
5. Add tomato puree, chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, salt & red pepper flakes to the cooked onion & continue to stir, for another 5 minutes
6. Add the cooked lentils, beans, and water to the onion mixture and set the temperature to simmer (or about 1 or 2)
7. Cook for about 2 hours on simmer. Stir often to prevent burning and you will have to add about 2- 3 cups of water as the Dal thickens. Allow to thicken to your desired consistency before serving.
8. Serve by pouring cream or using cilantro or both as a garnish and eat with rice, roti, etc.
Adapted Recipe from these site’s recipes:
Be sure to leave a comment if you tried this recipe and let me know how you liked it! Include a photo as well if you have one. Its always great to know what others have chosen to do and any adaptations or changes you make can be helpful for others. I personally always read through the reviews on a dish so I welcome them below.
Manifesting a partner is pretty simple if you start with a list and make the time to visualize.
Interpret signs and symbols for yourself.
The yummiest version of broccoli salad you could ask for.
The importance of self-suggestion should not be understated. It is a very valuable and necessary tool to becoming who you want to be.